Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Back to the Start

Hamburg, Germany ITU Professional Race... World's 2007

If you'd have asked me 2 weeks ago what I would be doing the second week of my Ironman recovery I would not have told you than I got a good long run in, a great swim and on deck is a sweet spot bike ride.... I would most likely have told you I would have been sitting by the pool with my feet up.

Not so much!

In some ways I am waiting for the sting of the CNF / DNF to hit me. The more time passes.... the longer it doesn't. I am still waiting. Perhaps it is that I have had my tears and it's time to move on.

I am good at moving on. In most things I am.

Maybe it is just that in the grand scheme of things I have been through worse things.

Maybe it is just lurking around the corner.

As it is still summertime I am still taking some downtime, as this little head injury has not at all healed yet. There is still a lot of pain and some vision changes. I know this can last a long time and I just have to wait it out. I am learning to sit on the couch and sitting on the side edge of the pool while Luc swims his little heart out.

And every day I dream of Texas.

This morning it was back to Masters and back to outdoor long course. I had to take it easy but I tell you this.... I swam a bit with a helmet! No joke! Grimm brought me his kayak helmet and we did get pictures.... with a camera that had film. Who uses film? Not to worry the photographer Rauni, promised to have them developed quickly.

It was actually quite a buoyant helmet and not uncomfortable. Flip turns were a little weird, and there was not enough coverage in the back of the head, but hey it is a start!

And sometimes that's just where we need to begin, at the start. New goals, new workouts, new ideas. A season that goes past September and allows me to run in the fall..... I love to run in the fall.

So as we continue to work from the start I am relishing in the feeling of having an extended season doing what I love to do!

3 comments:

PJ said...

I'm glad you've been able to get back to training. I hope your head stops hurting soon!

I can't wait to see those pictures!

Trigirlpink said...

Yeah! Nice to have something to look forward to for sure. I'm sure Dawn will make you a super-fantastic Spishy to wear! Oh.. and about the functional training stuff, Jen H. loves torturing me with that stuff. If I've been bad, she makes me do it twice in one week Ha! Really though, I think it does help alot.

Eileen Swanson said...

So glad to hear that you are back at it and on the road to recovery! Hope you are healed and 100% very soon. Gotta see those pics of you swimmin' in that kayak helmet ;-)

E