Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bike..... CHECK!

David and Luc chumming it up!
Curt in the Rachel Ray kitchen!
Here is where we are staying. Sarah and Adam are in the one on the right!
A lot of the roads are like this in Placid, lined with trees and beautiful!

Thursday in Placid means one thing..... Lake Placid becomes IRON TOWN. Banners and triathletes are everywhere. I have decided that since they are cutting down on bringing your family with you through the finisher's chute.... people have instead decided to bring their family with them through registration.

A group of people held up weigh in taking pictures of each other on the scale. I weighted in 5 pounds too light by the way.... interesting how that never screws with my mind :-) The couple in front of me kept making out during the wait for weigh in..... at which point I was grateful to have a Centro Phone which I could read Marit's Blog (Great RACE MARIT by the way!). But the time passed quickly and soon enough I was on my way with my bags, numbers, timing chip and my shiny silver bracelet.

Coach T knew exactly what he was doing this morning sending me out to the out and back portion of the course. It was a 20 minute drive from where I was staying, but one I got on the bike, things got good. Really good. Nothing wiggled, nothing wobbled (although I did have new brakes put on afterwards..... maybe I should just buy a new bike too while I am at it?), and everything felt smooth. I have never in my life ridden anything different than a 12-23 cassette and I have to say.... holy cow! It's NICE to climb with a 26!

In one breath I felt my fear and doubt vanish. I was out within the trees and the hills and the mountains. One thing I tell my gang.... never forget to look up. This course will give you what you need, as long as you open up to it. I finished the ride feeling great. Feeling happy.

Lake Placid makes me happy.

As I do each and every year I ran into Graham Frasier at the expo. He was wearing so much red white and blue Ironman paraphernalia that I told him I'd created him the nickname of Captain America..... which is funny because he's Canadian.

I found Ed and his super cute new gal Kim, who is also racing. It was a bit like a reunion with all the folks I saw. It's like coming to summer camp and seeing all the friends you haven't' seen all winter.

In moments like this I realize what all the winter work is for. It's so I can come and have a blast here.

Back at the house things are going really well. The boys have clicked and it's been one big party. For now however they are all riding the Lake Placid / Saranac Train and I have been given some time to myself. Which I shall use for a nap.

More later tonight!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi! it sounds like a big party out there. best of luck and enjoy!!!!

kerrie said...

good luck!!! have a great day out there - it looks like a beautiful place to do an IM. we'll be following on line!

Pedergraham said...

Mary:
Sounds like you and your boys are having a great time! Keep those feet up.
-Danielle

Marit C-L said...

WONDERFUL! See what you were missing in SC while riding the 11-23?? :) Times are going great - now make SURE you keep your feet up ALL DAY! This is YOUR TIME MARY!