Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tire Tracks

Wednesday morning I awoke at 4am with a very heavy head. Now when I can't leap out of bed at 4am you know I am tired. I looked down at my body and sure enough.... there they were. Two sets of tire tracks. The Truck had run right over me sometime in the night.

I was relieved. This happens to me every taper, and I am anxious for it to happen. It means that I have hit the bottom and that things are about to get better.

I arrived to Masters 5 minutes late, and Ken commented that I am usually the first one in the pool. I reminded him of that time during Ironman Florida taper that I showed up at 6:30am for a 5:45am start... yes 45 minutes late..... because that was the night the truck had run me over too.

Swimming didn't feel all that great physically, but mentally it felt awesome. Perhaps because Mark was in the 96 Olympic trials and he laps me constantly, even in 50 meters. Grimm was preparing for Mussel and so was Ken. Bruce was there, Grasshopper (Travis), Bill.... Rauni was looking strong.


I even forgot my cap and goggles but thanks to Les, I just take them off his bag. This morning I even drank his water too. I noticed that Grimm drinking Gatorade Tiger.... which is different from his Gatorade AM..... something to that? I wonder.

So I took my position as last of the STUDS and I relished in the feeling of heaviness in my shoulders and in my head. Because the bottom had been hit and it was up up up from here.

Later on, during my ride and run I felt good. I felt light, I began to feel things brewing. From here we take a great big nosedive towards Placid. A little tune up race on Saturday at the Mini Mussel. My husband starts eight minutes behind me and I have issued the challenge...... see if you can catch me.

Julie Ertel and Jarrod Shoemaker will grace Western New York this weekend at the ITU Pro race that same afternoon, then you have the Train-This Ironman Team hosting transition during the Musselman 1/2 Ironman.

I was the first winner of the Musselman in 2004. I've competed in this weekend every year since. Next year I am aiming for that top spot again.

So it will be a weekend of fun. It's the storm before the calm. Because once Tuesday evening comes I will be settled into my home away from home. Tucked away in Lake Placid with my feet up and without distractions.

Until then however I need a good loofah and a good bit of soap. Because these tire tracks are coming off. Which means only one thing.... it's up from here.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Good luck this weekend Mary! As you said - it's only up from here!! :)

Missy said...

Good Luck at Musselman. My husband did the half last year. I loved the venue and it was a welcome break from the 90 degree weather we have around here all summer. The winerys were fun too : }