Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gaining Momentum

Quakerman 2008 Kid's Race. Luc is the second in from the left of the girl in the red shirt. I am the one in the water. Obviously!

First order of today's business: Kerri W was hit by a car in Colorado yesterday, Kerri you are in my prayers and I am wishing you a speedy recovery!

Hip Hip Hooray! Or as they say in Texas..... Yeee-Haw!!!!

Slowly but surely the head is getting better. During some intervals this week each time I hit a certain power level my head began to hurt. Nonetheless I have gotten in some good solid training. I should be cleared to road ride on Sunday, however I may not be cleared to race at the Summer Sizzler.

Which bumms me out because I looked and looked and the next race is the Finger Lakes Triathlon at the end of September (That I can get to) Silver lining: I will jump into some 5K's and enjoy training with some speed..... hopefully beginning next week!

Let's not tell the doctor I have been out on the mountain bike. On a flat crushed stone trail (come on!!!) That can remain our little secret. Okay? Good.

Every day Texas is getting better and better. Kevin, also known as the Wev has found us a house near the good stuff in Austin, and far enough from the bars..., although you'd better believe that on Sunday night post race I will be on a mechanical bull. With a seat belt. And a Helmet. And bubble wrap wrapped around me!

And we've potentially got another cowboy on board. Ken from the Stud lane is looking for a fall 1/2 Ironman to do and needs just a little more convincing..... come on.... come to Texas with 2 people you know and 3 people you don't! Hey fly with us, at least you are not flying with me before I overcame my fear of flying...... back then you'd have nail marks up and down your arm (just ask Curt).

There are a few things you might want to know when traveling with Cow Girl Mary. Just a few.

1. I often wear the same clothes for days in a row. Just ask Ashely and Marit how many days I wore my red board shorts in Florida. With luggage fees these days you can guarantee this!

2. I can live with or without the Internet. Believe it or not.

3. I can assemble my bike and yours. No problem.

4. I get up early. But I won't make you get up. You may find me on the front steps or balcony waiting for the day to unveil. What can I say every day is like Christmas when traveling!

5. I tend not to brush my hair on vacation. Yes, I only consider it a vacation when I am racing.

6. I can go with or without the shower. Don't care. You might.

7. I am in charge of coffee. Period.

8. I don't care where we eat out but please take me somewhere specific to the area. I don't' want to go to Applebees...... when in Florida I go to Dirty Dicks.... when in Texas I want to eat whatever Cow Boys eat and wherever they eat it.

9. I can sleep anywhere. Couch, middle of the road, in your bed. I don't' snore and I don't care if you do. You can set off a nuclear bomb next to me or lay your feet on me and I won't wake up. Call that a special talent of being a nurse.

10. The afternoon before a race I east spaghetti and meatballs. Every time.

The only 2 real requirements that I have aside from racing my heart out is that I need 2 bona fide cowboy hats. One for me and one for Kari M. And of course the mechanical bull.

So just when Western New York is hunkering down and gearing up for fall..... just when the leaves are continuing to turn the beautiful colors that they turn..... just when the triathlon season comes to a close.....

This Clan has out salt licks ready and we've got lots of excitement. This Cow Clan is taking on Texas and we will be ready. Turn up the furnace or really treat us and turn up the Texas chill. No matter what it brings to us we've got one thing that's damn unbeatable.....

We've got each other and we've got mojo. With that combination....LOOK OUT AUSTIN! And wait till you see the cool house we rented!!! Near coffee, Austin and most importantly Lance's Bike Shop!

4 comments:

Wingman said...

You and the coffee again! Seriously you and K-Dub may want to look into a nice little retreat at Coffee Rehab!

And no hospital visits - just felt really awful for a few days (almost passed out after the gym though)

Ashley said...

True on all accounts... I still have flashbacks of those red board shorts ;)
Ye-Haw

Amber and Eric Rydholm said...

For Austin eats try Cheuy's. Lance writes about it in his books. I have been there twice and it is good tex-mex. I believe the Saltlick is the BBQ place just out of town that my aunt wanted to take us to but we ran out of time...... mmmmmm, BBQ!
-A

Amanda said...

Oh Mary I would love traveling with you because I know you would care about the coffee as much as I do so I would have NO worries haha
Being a fitness instructor showers tend to come after the end of all the days classes. like you said, I dont mind, but others might:P I think the sleeping anywhere thing is totally a nurse thing, my mom is the same way!
So good to see you last week-ill be back friday!