Thursday, July 24, 2008

On Recovering

Here is the IMLP swim, actually this section looks pretty tame compare to where I was, there are spaces in the water between people and people have their heads up!


I treat concussions all the time in the Pediatric Emergency Dept. I have even had a concussion before. But never a grade 2, and never one like this. I have a whole new appreciation for those who suffer from migraines.

If I had broken my arm I could ice it, elevate it. But I live in my head. I am not used to noise hurting, lights bothering me and just being in pain.

It will get better.

My memory has improved. My speech has improved. Things are improving.

I gave myself Wed as complete rest. I didn't do much but lay on the couch. In some ways I just tuned out. Thursday I returned to yoga, which heals anything that ails me.

Friday I plan to swim in the lake. When I was in Placid being in the water was the best thing for me. Maybe it was the quiet of the water, just easy long wetsuitless swimming. I felt like I was free and like I was floating.

My thoughts have drifted to Monday, which is when the bus starts up again. A few weeks of high frequency and low volume should do me just right. 2-3 weeks there and a race or 2 and I will be ready to make a great big push to Texas.

The Texas trip is gaining some momentum. Kitima, Kevin, Kelly B., Kim and even possibly Steve have jumped on board. I feel like we should make a great big sign and strap it to the back of the airplane .... a sign that reads..... "Train-This does Texas!" It will be really fun to travel with my team to a place we've never been and a race we've never done. It's for a few of us who wish to redeem ourselves from races of this season.

But as I begin again I am learning just how careful I need to be. The problems associated with a concussion can last up to 2 months. I have to be very careful about intervals, especially in the water. So I shall listen to my body, and to my head. Anything that hurts I won't do.

I feel like a great big chocolate cake that's been baked, and now I am cooling. I just need some good chocolaty icing and I will be on that starting line in Texas with excitement, with happiness, with my full health and with dreams of riding a mechanical bull. With a helmet of course!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Texas Here We Come!!!

Anonymous said...

Your positive attitude just amazes me! I'm glad to hear you are slowly recovering, and can't wait to hear about Texas :). By the way, I checked out the basics class at Breathe- very fun!

Ryan said...

Lycra, swim helmets, and now mechanical bulls.

Mary Eggers has the best blog EVER!!!!!

Missy said...

A friend of mine worked the med tent as a volunteer last Sunday. She said there were two concussions that happened during the swim! From the looks of that picture I see why. Maybe you really should write that letter. Do you know Louisville is doing the swim start this year the same way they did last year? No concussions in that race.
Anyway, take care of your head!

PJ said...

Can I have some of that good attitude please? Pretty please?

Glad to hear you are recovering. I hope those migraines disappear soon.

kodiacbear said...

Mary, we are finally back from Placid and have internet again!--glad your feeling better!! Was worried sick...