Sunday, July 6, 2008

Insert Fork Here

Yesterday I broke up with the Ironman. I told the Ironman we were done, affair over, F*** the hell off. I got off my bike after my last long ride and for the first time in my life I was glad to be off a bike.

Then today.... I begged him to take me back. And he did the promise that things will be better soon.

The stem issue has been resolved. The first bike shop I visited greeted me with 2 teenage boys whom I probably took care of at some point in their lives. I brought my old stem.... which was a good stem.... good quality..... good brand.... if you know what I mean.... and after much searching they handed me a silver shiny $20 stem that probably wouldn't hold up my right arm. The funniest part is that it was such a piece of crap.... that I paid the $20 because I wanted to have it. It was that bad.

My next stop was Park Ave Bikes where the kid treated me incredibly well. I brought him my old stem, he asked what kind of bike I rode, what I was doing.... and he matched me with the perfect high quality part I was seeking. 30 minutes later I was on my bike and I was smiling. for a while.

Then a bee flew into my mouth and stung me in the back of my throat. While riding I handily choked it out and was grateful I was not allergic or I'd be dead. Nonetheless my throat really hurt, but a little HTFU here Irongirl.

My legs were tired by 30 minutes and I had intervals on deck. Which felt a little worse than ass. Then came bee sting #2. In the head. 30 minutes later the third bee stung me in the thigh.

I am okay with getting stung by bees. It really doesn't bother me. I get stung by jellyfish all the time too.... what can I say I am one sweet girl. But as I am riding and trying to hold wattages that I am too tired to hold every kamikaze bug on earth kept flying at me, inside of me and all over me. By the end of the ride I had 9 bee stings. The ninth one is where I lost it.

F***** Ironman. I said to myself as I racked my bike in the garage. Screw this S***. I took a really long shower and went to bed. After all I had to work midnight to 8am and get up to ride again. Luc was at the Grandparents getting his butt spoiled and Curt was intelligent enough to be a short course guy..... F****** Ironman I thought as I drifted off to sleep for 3 hours.

Work was fine but busy. Lots of sick children. I arrived home at 8:30am for my 2 hour nap. Yes, 2 hour nap. The good thing is I work 2 days a week there.... one during the day and one at night. The only reason I work there aside from loving it is because I get free tuition at the U of R. In 3 years I will have my Masters and we are seriously contemplating a move to Hawaii for a year. Yes, that is very true. But more on that later.

When I woke up and Curt came home and we went to bring Luc home..... I felt a lot of remorse for my Saturday antics. I had just broken up with Iornman. I was irrational. I was cranky.

It came time for my 3 hour ride and 30 minute run and I couldn't' wait to mount the pedals. On such little sleep I was smiling, the power came easy and that's when I begged, please Ironman take me back. I will think before I react, I won't swear and I promise I will relish every moment we have left together.

And he took me back. With a good ride and a good run.

When I was done I was wobbly. Not because the workout was hard but because my sleep was deprived and I was happy. I felt like I was a happy drunk.

I looked at my husband and pointed to myself. "Insert fork here." I said, "Because I am done." and he smiled.

"Time to cook." He said. Which made me smile. Because fourteen days from today is the big dance. Everything is almost ready, and it's time to let all this training absorb. Come 7am I will get to take one final dance with the Ironman for a while, and I want to remember every single second.

5 comments:

Danni said...

OMG Mary!
9 bee stings!!! Ouch! Way to tough it out girl!
I am deathly afraid of bees and wasps... I would have called it quits after the first one.

rr said...

OMG, I would have been dead with the first sting.. literally, as I don't ride with my epipen and a bee sting in the neck/throat is my worst nightmare. But NINE? WTH? That is nuts.

You are made of nails, me thinks.

Meredith said...

Lucky you aren't allergic...they worsen with age if you are, I think (trying to recollect the whole mast cell/ histamine thing-y from micro, only a few weeks ago! How soon we forget!!?!?)

yay for the taper....time to MENTALLY get back to loving your man named "Iron"......

Wingman said...

A short time ago someone wrote me an e-mail that said; "In the space of fear - courage, strength and grace will be built through pushing through that space with passion for what you are doing."

Ironman makes us all do weird things.

Anonymous said...

9?! One is bad enough to make me curl up in a ball like a baby. 9-throw me in a hole and pack the dirt on top!

I continually break-up with Ironman so you aren't alone. For some reason I keep going back and asking for more...humm...