Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Texas Hold 'Em

First of all thank you so very much for all of the incredible words...... I can't thank you enough for everything. A few days post Ironman have helped things settled down a little bit, in terms of emotions.

Honestly if this was my first Ironman I would be a wreck.

The more time passes I realize how lucky I am that I was not the one who crashed her bike and broke her clavicle. I did not pass out from the hit, and swum over. I still can walk, breathe and live and I won't be out for all that long.

Damn was I lucky.

Bob M got me thinking about writing a letter to anyone who would listen, because I do believe that the Ironman swim has got to change. Being a strong swimmer I almost feel like it's taboo to admit that a swim isn't safe. Likely I won't be able to change a thing. I do believe that responsibility does somewhat lie with the race director in creating a safe swim start. But it also lies within the athlete.

What are we doing to each other? What does this say about us? I've thrown my fair share of punches in the water, what has that done to the guys I have been guilty of hitting?

There have been deaths in Ironman and other distance swims. Healthy athletes who have no medical history. I am beginning to wonder if they take a hit and go down.... have they simply been swum over?

Is the time trial start like Ironman Louisville had last year the way to go? All of my athletes who did that race reported a great swim and no problems. So the finish clock time isn't quite right and you aren't sure where you are in the race........ but you make it through the swim without an injury.

Have we actually gotten so wrapped up in the rest of it that we have forgotten that we are so lucky to even be here? Sure we are competing for Kona slots and knowing who is where could be important.

But at what expense?

Just questions I am pondering at the moment. And how does one person make that big of a difference?

It's Tuesday in Placid and the Iron Folk have gone home. My head is not that much better which means Thursday I am likely headed for a CT scan. They don't do anything for concussions except watch and observe. Unless there is a bleed of which I likely do not have.

I stood in downtown Placid yesterday and spoke to Joey and Travis and I could not remember who they were. I have periodic episodes of immense pain and confusion. But I have my body functions.

They kept asking me why I headed out on the bike. I had a head injury and my mental status was already altered. So clearly I wasn't clear to make any judgements. Duh!!!!!!

I did swim, which felt GREAT. I did a very short run, which did end in a walk. I ran because I needed to, not physically just emotionally. I ran around Mirror Lake. It always makes me feel good.

Last night I shot an email to Coach T, I was poking around on the Ironman site and I noticed Texas Ironman 70.3 was still open on Oct 5th. It intrigued me. I have all this base, it's like a chocolate cake has been baked..... it's ready...... now it just needs some icing.

To my absolute surprise he thought it was a good idea and told me I need to race ASAP. As soon as I have medical clearance I need to race.

I smiled.

I might be down but I am certainly not out. How lucky am I to have this easy of an injury? I mean Marit broke her freaking sacrum. I took a brain bruise. I'm not that bright to begin with so big deal ;-)

The infamous Kelly B is threatening to come along. And one of my athletes Steve.

So I shall take my recovery. And then I am getting back up. They don't call me Miss Mary Sunshine for nothing. I am ready to get back on that horse, this time however I am going to do so with a cowboy hat!

4 comments:

Missy said...

I guess the raucous ironman swim start has become something of a tradition. It's the one thing all first timers fear! But maybe you are right, it has become extremely dangerous. I think I mentioned before that two of my friends who did Placid this year say they were told at the prerace meeting there were scuba divers watching out for athletes in Mirror Lake. Not sure if that's true or not but that still doesn't really address your point that we certainly shouldn't be willing to chance killing each other over a Kona spot (or anything else in a triathlon for that matter).
I'm glad that you are feeling better and ready to think about another race.
Heal your head and your heart and then head for Texas!

Sarah said...

I stumbled here somehow, and now I'm reading your story. I can imagine that it is tough having to drop out of IM, but man, we are lucky to have you with us and I am glad that someone pulled you from the course.

I think it's awesome - go on and kick the 70.3 in the tail! And I do agree, we need to have a safe swim. I did a TT start at Chattanooga and it was really nice! Room to swim!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Mary,
I'm so sorry your race ended that way. I was working the medical tent from 3-8, hoping I could catch your finish but never heard your name. I'm amazed you were able to make it through so much of the bike--you are one tough cookie. Definitely sign me up for one of those helmets since I was a dumbass and signed up for IMLP '09.
ko

Jerome Harrison said...

YES that is WHY we call you MISS MARY SUNSHINE!!! Thinking of you...xoxo Jen H.