Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What to Wear

Before I begin I need to say thank you, and I need to let you all know how very lucky I feel to call you my friends. I keep saying it.... I keep learning it..... but triathlon is in so many ways a head fake.... in that we are learning something hard by thinking we are learning something fun.


The something hard is different for all of us. The friendship out here in the Blog-o-shpere is amazing. I feel like whether I visit the Northeast, the Midwest, the south or Hawaii I would have people to visit. And that right there makes me feel like a billionaire.
************************************************************************************
Ironman is 3 weeks away unless you have taken a long deserved break from this Ironman nonsense talk that I can't stop spewing.

With Ironman comes big decisions. Sure there's the training. Then there's the nutrition. Then the hardest part. It's like my version of prom day.

What am I going to wear?

I prefer to go the two piece route and swap my bottoms out between disciplines. A beautiful 2 piece arrived just the other day from Splish.....


The only problem with the suit, well any suit.... I always have to wear a sports bra. Just not blessed with the idea flat triathlete chest! Likely I will wear these bottoms for the swim, bike shorts for the bike and a skirt of course for the run. I might change my mind however because it's become fun to race with EGGERS on my butt. Makes me feel like an Olympian, which of course I am not!

Figuring out what to wear is always a hard part. Something that annoys you in training will be murder on race day. Chafing could occur where you least expect it. I am lucky to never get it between the legs..... but I got the boobs so I get it other places.

I have seen people change entire outfits, and then others change nothing. It's purely personal preference. It's what you are comfortable in. If it takes too long to do.... then skip it. If it involves straps over my head I forget it.

Be comfortable. That's the key.

What do you wear?

9 comments:

Danni said...

Mary...
I have only done short races where quick transitions are key, so I never change my outfits.
I usually wear my tri -shorts (desoto) and a sugoi or zoot top.
I am looking to get some other options, but for now those are my staples...
Oh, and I totally get the having to wear a sports bra under any top... even if they have built in support.

Wingman said...

There's not enough orange in that suit!

Mnowac said...

Too cute, I love the flowers on the butt!!! I just this year starting wearing tri shorts when I run and I will never go back. I will be sporting tri shorts in marathons! The thigh squeezing is fab, I unfortunately do get the thigh chafe :( But I have only done sprint tris so far and wear a sports bra and tri shorts under the wetsuit and then put a shirt on at transition that I wear on the bike run. Works for me.

Laura said...

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure this out for Placid. Being my first one, I have no idea. To change or not to change? THAT is the big question mark. (Thinking I'll change bottoms too...)

Couldn't wear just a swimsuit on that bike though - no way! Have no idea how pros do it.

Jen said...

For my IM I wore tri shorts and a tri tank for the swim and bike (no changing at T1) and then at T2 I changed into new tri shorts and a tank top w/ built in bra for the run. I didn't really like running for that long in the tri shorts...all the water that you dump over your head ends up squishing arond in the pad of the tri shorts.

If my butt could tollerate it, I would go with your plan - I just don't know I could do 112 miles in a suit...ouch! LOVE the new suit!

rr said...

No changing clothes allowed! We're going for 10:45, right? And the Kona slot so you can come play with Wee and I?? Then every second counts. I was thinking about your little dilemma on my run today.. (yes, your boobs on my run, that's weird I know) and here's what I think:

Have Dawn make another identical top, one size larger. Layer the tops. Wear just the splish, for all three (well, and the wetsuit, of course). There is no modesty in triathlon, there is only go go go :)!

Mary Eggers said...

I am honored that RR thinks of my boobs on her runs. Your plan wins sister!

THANKS!

Brooke Myers said...

I like Rachels idea as well... and the suit is way cute so you might as well show it off for the whole race!

Pedergraham said...

I agree--great idea Rachel!
-Danielle