Monday, July 14, 2008

Down to the Wire

If my coach dies of a heart attack before Sunday you can rest assure it is my fault. Not only has my wheel issue not quite been resolved, it's gotten worse. No better time like the present to add in some last minute technical difficulties to give him a little angina, right?

My tires came. Problem is the valve stems are too short. Not a big deal. I can get Valve Stems at High Peaks Cyclery tomorrow night. No big deal. I will be in town before anyone else comes in and begins to freak out.

Problem solved.

Coach emailed me my pacing goals. My top end wattage. I threw up. How will I keep my power down that low through the hills of Placid? From Ironman Florida I know I have to have a cheesy easy bike to have a good strong run. This run especially comes from a smart bike.

Especially in Placid.

I have ridden a 12-23 my entire life. ENTIRE LIFE. I have never ever given it a first, second, or third thought because it's just….. how it's always been. I have ridden Placid so many times in a 12-23.

I never communicated that with anyone….. just never thought of it. But let me tell you I do advise my athletes a 12-25 or 27 is the way to go on this course. I don't know why I do not think these rules apply to me.

That's why I have coach T. Because I am stupid. Really stupid.

So now comes the mad dash for the 12-27 or 12-25. To put on race week and ride long for the first time on Sunday.

Gulp. This is a classic rookie move. Not the move a four time Ironman finisher and Triathlon COACH should be making. Or at least something I should have addressed three months ago.

So a phone call to High Peaks Cyclery has one on hold for me, to be picked up tomorrow night. THANK YOU KEVIN!!!! And upon my arrival home the tires are still inflated to 140 PSI. Whew. Now when I deflate and actually glue them on….. I am sure something else shall happen.

That's how things will go until race day and actually maybe even into race day. Problem solving one moment at a time. Controlling and adjusting what you can at the present moment. No further than the present.

We'll get it worked out. I have a plan. As Ben in LOST would say….. "I always have a plan."
Until Placid……

6 comments:

Cindy Jo said...

Oh the Ironman week glitches! Its always something, isn't it?

I'm going to repeat that mantra Sunday on the bike "cheesy, easy - cheesy, easy," so thanks!

Wingman said...

Ha! Someones not so tough anymore riding a 12-23; I don't feel like a girly man now :).

Cy said...

I'm getting so excitied for you and all the others 'enjoying' their final preparations for Lake Placid.

You will be great-Deep Breaths :-)

Marit C-L said...

You will do GREAT! Make SURE THAT YOU GET A NEW CHAIN WITH THE NEW CASSETT! VERY VERY IMPORTANT!

But I know that you'll do this... right?

:)

Sending warm wishes and good vibes your way Miss Mary! 1-0-4-5! I KNOW you can do it! I believe in you!!!

Beth said...

It's always something with the bike isn't it? But as you said yourself - better now than on race day!!

Best of luck Mary!! I'm so excited for you. Enjoy and soak in the day - the reward for all your hard work. Can't wait to read all about your amazing results!

Missy said...

Actually of all the rookie mistakes you could make, this one isn't bad, in fact it may not even qualify. Changing out a cassette, especially if you go with the 12/25 is not a major change. Ride it, make sure the shifting is smooth and then ride it a couple more times before race day just to be sure.
You're going to have a great race! I can't be there afterall
: { . Hopefully Ironmanlive won't be dead as usual!!