Friday, July 18, 2008

The Train-This IMLP Team 2008

Here is Sharon, Bill, Sarah, Nathalie and Adam (from our 70.3 team) at the Friday swim right before the lightning storm rolled thorugh!


There's not much else to do while I am waiting for the Ironman to call and invite me out for a date. Here it is, 5:30am and he still hasn't called. Bastard. I will just wait for him, again and again. So as I am sitting here on the back porch surrounded by woods and chirping birds I am greeted by a complete rest day with the instructions of "Not even a swim... I have spies."

Bastard.

The Train-This Ironman Team has arrived and this morning we have a team meeting. Each and every year I think.... how can this team get better? And it does. The group of people who comes together is simply amazing.

And here they are:

Amy Noe: I need to mention Amy because she's not going to be competing. A few weeks ago she was in a horrid cycling accident and broke her femur bone, which is the hardest bone in the body to break. Her recovery will last longer than a year. Amy is a single mom attending Law school and is an amazing athlete. I will have her name on my hand as I compete on Sunday, and we will all have her in our hearts.

Nathalie Bruneau: Working mother of 2 and wife of Scott, this is Nathalie's 2nd Ironman.

Sarah Stainistreet: Sarah is my running partner, about to enter grad school to become a teacher and this is her second Ironman. She's also competing in Ironman Arizona in the fall.

Ed Liebowitz: yes of Rung the Bolus fame. Ed is a type I diabetic who was diagnosed a little over a year ago. This is Ed's first Ironman and if you have been reading along, he's pretty freaking ready.

Sharon Maddock: Sharon is a Pediatric ICU nurse who just shaved 45 minutes off her 1/2 Ironman time! This is Sharon's first Ironman!

Bill Hariis: Bill is an Intensive Care Nurse and this will be his third Ironman. Bill is also one of my riding partners and has been witness to me falling apart a few times.

Mark Valleley: Mark is from Ithaca and this is his second Ironman..... believe it or not he is talking about his third.

Kevin Walter: Kevin has done this race 5 times and his rewards to himself for competing here on Sunday is...... Ironman Florida this fall. With the rapper name K-Dub..... this man is the human Starbucks locator.

Matt Kellman: A marathon background brought Matt to the dark side. Last I spotted him he was well on his way to becoming Captain America himself with Ironman gear at the expo! His challenge is to top his wife's perfectly paced first 1/2 Ironman last week!!! Can he pace this well? We will see!

Now there are a few others on our Ironman team who are doing other Ironmans: Kara Klassez and Andy Thomas will be heading to IM Louisville, Jay Hollister will do his second Ironman in Florida later this year and how could we forget Rena Senner. Monday she moved back to Germany after her amazing Ironman Brazil in May.

I will be sure to snag a team picture this morning at the meeting. It's all of our goals to be out of town by noon because athletes are arriving and town is a madhouse!

2 comments:

Marit C-L said...

I love your wild, unkempt hair! :) GREAT photos below - sounds like you've got quite an incredible team of athletes! I will be thinking of ALL of you on Sunday. Especially YOU Mary! Now enjoy your DAY OFF!

Anonymous said...

I cant NOT wait to get to Placid to see you all rock the course! You are always in my thoughts and prayers!
PS. You are missing Ed in the picture!